Shooting firearms can be done recreationally or as a part as a career. From multiple types of guns, on multiple skill levels, shooting is common to many folks, even if they aren’t gun enthusiasts. Military, law enforcement, and security careers require more than basic use of firearms, and some with natural really excel. Hunters and competition shooters, use their firearms as a form of entertainment, but even there, abilities are exceptional, and can grow into extraordinary shooting. Those who opt for conceal carry are at least introduced to the basics and law abiding citizens, competitors, and professionals have the opportunity to heighten their skills on a range. But there are some truly phenomenal sharp shooters that make even the most experienced drop the jaw in awe. Today, we at Shooting Range Industries would like to look at some of the most impressive sniper shots history has to offer.
Best Sniper Shots from History
1) Thomas Plunket, an Irish soldier in the British 95th Rifles has earned a reputation of being among the greats by shooting French general, Auguste-Marie-François Colbert. History writes that in the battle at Cacabelos, during Monroes retreat in 1809, the French general was shot by Plunket at a range of about 2000 feet with a Baker Rifle. Rifles in the early 19th century were incredibly inaccurate and the soldiers knew it. In fact the British soldiers were trained to shoot into a body of men at 165 feet and primarily armed with Brown Bess muskets. To prove to present soldiers that his shot was not just a lucky one, Plunket reloaded his rifle and hit his target, a major who came to the side of the French general.
2) Corporal Francis Pegahmagabow was an Ojibwa warrior with the Canadians; a scout and a very effective sniper during WW1. He would be awarded the military medal three times, and twice he was critically wounded. He would navigate through heavy fire to run messages to commanding officers and would even run through enemy fire to retrieve additional ammo when his was low. He would be credited killing nearly 400 German soldiers and capturing over 300.
3) Sgt Grace, 4th Georgia Infantry, a Confederate sniper would step on the battle field of Spotsylvania and take aim with his British Whitworth Rifle and shot General John Sedgwick from a distance of 1,000 yards, an extraordinary distance during the time.
4) Rob Furlong, a former corporal of the Canadian Forces, holds the record for the longest confirmed sniper kill in history at 1.51 miles in 2002. Armed with a .50-caliber McMillan Brothers Tac-50 Rifle and loaded with A-MAX very low drag bullets, Furlong shot a three man Al-Qaeda weapons teams as they moved into a mountainside position he took aim. Though his first shot missed, the second hit the knapsack on the back of an enemy, and the third found a bullet to the chest. With the incredible distance, the air time of each bullet was three seconds, and after the first shot, the enemy knew they were under attack, but was not able to respond in time to take cover.
5) Adelbert F. Waldron holds the record for the highest number of confirmed kills for any American sniper in history, with incredible accuracy. Though he has 109 confirmed kills, one stood out when riding on a boat down the Mekong River. A Vietcong was strategically positioned over 3000 feet away on a coconut tree randomly firing his weapon at the boat. While everyone was taking cover in case the offender had luck on his side, they strained to find the perpetrator; but Waldron simply took up his sniper rifle, and with one shot took down that would be assassin.
Custom Shooting Ranges for Military Law Enforcement & Civilian Live Fire Practice & Training
There are countless other examples where history will show true skill evolving from the incredible sniper shots. The above compilation is just some examples where history would remember some of the greats. Utilizing a shooting range to hone your skills can impress friends, tip the scales of history, and possibly save your life. Contact Shooting Range Industries for more information on your own custom shooting range.