Military and law enforcement need a shooting range to hone their skills for on-the-job use. Practicing drills and honing their skills is vital to keep you safe in the field and better prepared for real life situations. It can be hard to make the most appropriate choice concerning indoor shooting ranges and outdoor shooting ranges for these professionals. In an effort to help you reach a selection that is better for you and your needs, we at Shooting Range Industries have prepared the pros and cons of an indoor range versus and outdoor shooting range.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Indoor Shooting Ranges
Pros: Indoor ranges can definitely be more convenient for your military/law enforcement officers to get to as they can be built in any location, even in the midst of a developed city. Indoor ranges can help on duty officers avoid driving great distances to get to the outdoor ranges and help cut the cost for on duty officers to practice on the range over time.
– Where outdoor ranges cannot always be in use during extreme weather conditions, the indoor ranges can continue to operate in most cases.
– Indoor ranges tend to have the higher retail value.
– Indoor ranges have the greater opportunity to feature the modern technical advancements for improvements where the outdoor ranges will be limited.
Cons: There are many requirements and regulations that need to be met, and suppressing the sounds are important, making the indoor ranges a bit pricier and overwhelming to ensure you comply. The OSHA and EPA requirements for ventilation systems and HVAC systems will ecru cost along with the initial cost of structural requirements.
– Indoor ranges can come with more limitations and constraints depending on the zoning, which can dictate which calibers can be shot.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Outdoor Shooting Ranges
Pros: Outdoor ranges have less expenses involved and equipment. If budget is limited and a concern, the outdoor ranges are typically more affordable.
– Outdoor ranges can easily set up to practice real life scenarios with the increase in space, giving shooters a more realistic experience. Military and law enforcement have more opportunity to expand their potential with the ability to spread out more freely.
– Ammunition size is not as limited as indoor ranges.
– With an increase in firing mobility, you have more tactical freedom and can better incorporate distance, vehicle scenario, and terrain-based exercises.
Cons: Not all sites are shooting range ready and there may be need for expensive soil engineering and earthwork. To ensure the bullet containment is on point, the challenges to involved can increase developing cost. To keep the local citizens safer from stray bullets, the location will need to be off the beaten path.
– Noise containment. Muffling the noise can be near to impossible on an outdoor range and any neighboring houses or that can encroach, can result in the range getting shut down for safety concerns.
Design & Construction of Custom Shooting Ranges for Firearm Practice & Training
Shooting Range Industries can consult with you on the most optimal solution for your needs. We can design your custom shooting range that is engineered for you, your military and law enforcement agents, gun enthusiast friends and others! Contact us to learn more today!